Fiber Optic Termination Tool
Termination is the preparation of the end of a fiber so that it may be connected to another fiber or device.
A fiber optic termination tool can be used for varying purposes. Fiber optic termination tools used in the process include:
- Mechanical strippers or chemical solvents are used to strip the buffer and coating material from fiber before being cleaned with alcohol.
- A diamond or metal blade is then used to nick the fiber before tension is applied causing it to break.
- The fiber is then polished using grit abrasive paper until the finish is smooth.
- The end of the fiber is then inspected with a microscope to insure that the end of the fiber is smooth.
- Fibers are then attached to connectors or they are joined together by splicing.